Buemann and Riley Bros.Ltd

(image left) Records show that by 1898 Robert Bolt was employed as a Commercial Traveller for Mr. Buemann a provisions importer based in the Black Boy yard just off the Cloth Market, Newcastle upon Tyne. Also by this time Robert and his family had moved to Tamworth Road, Heaton, Newcastle upon Tyne.

Sometime between 1904 and 1914 Mr. Bolt was promoted to Managing Director of the company a position he held until his retirement in 1932.

In the early 1900s Mr. Buemann teamed up with the Riley Brothers of Newcastle to form Buemann and Co.of 3 and 5 Manors Street, Newcastle upon Tyne. During the 1940s and 50s the company was trading as Buemann and Riley Bros.Ltd

Buemann and Co were situated adjacent to the Royal Arcade at the junction of Pilgrim Street and Mannors Street.

 

 

 

 

 

 


Built by Richard Grainger and John Dobson and opened in 1832. The Royal Arcade declined in importance when the commercial centre of Newcastle moved north to the Monument area of the city a decade later. The Arcade was very run down when demolished in 1963 to make way for the Pilgrim Street roundabout construction.

 

List of some British importers of farm products.

by Department of Agriculture, Dairy Commissioner's Branch. Ottawa, Canada,

Published Ottawa 1905

 

four page extract; on page 29 Buemann Co. are recorded as Egg importers. To see other pages move cursor over page

   

 

To get an understanding of how the area has changed; move your cursor over the image on the left.

The demolition of the Royal Arcade and other buildings on the site took place between 1963 and 1965.

A more recent photo taken in 2014 shows the Swan House offices, which are now up market residential apartments.

 

 

Page under construction.............