The Wight Chiropractic Clinic
30 Roseburn Place, Edinburgh, Scoltand
History of the Wight Chiropractic Clinic Ltd
The Wight Chiropractic Clinic was established in 1924. It is the oldest chiropractic clinic in Scotland and one of the oldest in Europe. Our reputation for integrity, diagnosis and clinical results in well respected in medical and chiropractic circles throughout the country.
The first chiropractor to come to
was Dr H Ben Bolt DC who arrived in 1913 from
and set up a practice in
's capital city. Several years later in his busy practice Dr H Ben Bolt successfully "treated" a Mrs Jane Wight for severe and chronic neuraesthasia (now called depressive neurosis accompanying a general muscular weakness).
Chiropractic was successful with her where all medical treatment had failed. Mrs Wight, both relieved and inspired by what had happened, enrolled her two sons, Leslie, who was in his first year of electrical engineering at the
Heriot-Watt College, and David, still at Daniel Stewart's School in Edinburgh , at the Palmer School of Chiropractic in
Davenport, Iowa, USA.
On graduation in 1924 the brothers returned to Edinburgh and set up practice at 32 Great King Street and then in 1935 to the practice "home" for the next 50 years at
12 Walker Street. David died after a protracted illness in 1960 leaving Leslie Wight as the sole doctor of chiropractic north of Chester in
In 1962 Dr Leslie Wight's younger son, Stuart, graduated from the Canadian Memorial Chiropractic College in
Toronto, Canada. Leslie's other son, Graeme, after nine years in civil and structural engineering received a scholarship to the National College of Chiropractic in
Chicago, USA, graduating in 1968. The practice had begun to grow and subsequently, Dr Mary Cox from Wisconsin and Dr Kenneth Bramberg from Sweden joined the practice in the early 70's.
During this time satellite clinics were opened in Perth and later in Melrose .
After nearly 60 years in practice, Dr Leslie Wight died in 1983 but the practice continued under the management of Stuart and Graeme. During 1987 they decided to discontinue their partnership, Dr Stuart setting up his own practice at Torphichen Place and Dr Graeme continuing the practice at Walker Street, Perth and Melrose, but planning a new clinic at Roseburn Place on the west side of Edinburgh.
The new clinic was opened in 1990 and was the first purpose built chiropractic clinic in the
United Kingdom. In 1994 a further satellite clinic was added in Stirling, and in 1997, the fourth in Haddington. All four satellite clinics are within a 50 mile radius of Edinburgh and easily accessible by car and public transport.
The Edinburgh clinic has four practitioners (up to three in practice at any one time), a practice manager, secretary, two part-time radiographers and six clinic assistants. Each satellite clinic, Haddington, Melrose , Perth and Stirling have a full-time associate doctor and two part-time clinic assistants. All clinics are equipped to the highest standards - with Zenith hydraulic-electric adjusting tables, and Edinburgh has recently installed a new 500/160 Indico x-ray unit.
We now have a total staff of 27 making the Wight Chiropractic Clinic Ltd one of the largest chiropractic clinics in Europe. Dr J L Graeme Wight heads the clinical staff and is the Director of all the Clinics.