Barnards's Home - Beaconsfield

 

Dr Barnardo's took over the house on the 2nd January 1946 after the local council had given the organisation just 24 hours to occupy the house or lose it after two other local homes were destroyed during the war. Apparently the house had just been vacated by the army who had used it as a billet for an anti-aircraft AFS station during the war

 

The home closed on 1 September 1953 after Tynemouth Council bought the house under a compulsory purchase order as it had plans to develop the sea front. While the area's future was being desided, Beaconsfield house was used by other organisations, including the Hexham and Newcastle Diocesan Rescue Society to provide holidays for disadvantaged children. In 1956 the council took the decision to demolish the house and work was completed early in 1957.

Plans for a multi-storey hotel and leisure complex were never carried out. Today the site is an open green belt used for recreational purposes.

Friday, 25th/Saturday, 26th April 1941 

A UXB fell on the railway embankment between the Park Hotel and Beaconsfield House, Tynemouth, damaging the track. The hole was about 3'6" in diameter and the UXB penetrated to a depth of between 30'and 40', railway traffic was suspended between Tynemouth and Cullercoats, this lasted for about a week. It was not necessary to evacuate anyone from their homes, but personnel and equipment were evacuated from Beaconsfield House AFS station to John Street station, Cullercoats. Voluntary evacuation at the Park Hotel was advised but not ordered.

the links, Tynemouth

The Links, Grand Parade (above), is an open space situated between the village of Tynemouth to the south and the village of Cullercoates to the north.

St George's Church is conveniently in the centre of the panorama and the expance of green is where once Beaconsfield House.

The house, a seafront villa built in c.1882 by coal-owner and philanthropist John Henry Burn and named after Lord Beaconsfield. Mr Burn died in 1898 but his widow continued to live there until 1922.

Acknowlodgement
My thanks and appreciation for the two black & white photographs and background information go to Sonya Maddieson at Barnardo's, Barkingside, Ilford, Essex.