Once a prominent landmark along Grand Parade, Tynemouth, Northumberland
A potted history
Beaconsfield house was Built around 1882 for John Henry Burn Esq; a wealthy coal-owner and philanthropist, he named the house after British Prime Minister Benjamin Disraeli, 1st Earl of Beaconsfield. John inherited wealth from his father David, who had made his fortune as an iron founder in the City of Newcastle upon Tyne. The 1881 census shows John staying at a London hotel, he is 53 years old, also born in Newcastle and describes himself as a Magistrate and Land owner. Mr Burn died in 1898 but his widow, Annie Catherine, continued to live there until 1922.
In Netherwitton church there are two stained glass windows commissioned by the family. The first is in memory of Barbara Burn who died 1842 ...'erected by her affectionate son John Henry Burn of Beaconsfield, Cullercoats'. The second is in memory of John himself, by his wife Catharine.
The property comprised of a Boot room or Pantry found in the basement, on the ground floor there were a Drawing Room, Dinning Room a Library, Billiard Room, in the hall at ground level a feature staircase which took you to the first floor; eight bedrooms, two indoor W.C.s two Bathrooms and then in the Attic a further three rooms for the servants.
Between 1922 and 1939 Beaconsfield was owned by my great great grandfather Robert Thornton Bolt Esq. a Provisions Importer.
In January, 1938, Tynemouth Council approved plans for a new hotel on the Grand Parade (The Park Hotel) which was advertised to open on July 1 1939.
It was intended to be the most modern of hotels, with a continental appearance. Bowling greens and a garage block were promised in the future. Not long after opening, two bombs went off at Tynemouth Park in October, 1940. A bomb landed on the railway behind the hotel in April, 1941, but failed to explode, as did another in August 1942. During the second world war Beaconsfield house was used as a anti-aircraft AFS station.
In January 1946 the local council gave Barnardo's just 24 hours notice to occupy the house or lose it was just the type of Barnardo's had been looking for to replace two of their homes that had been destroyed by bombing raids.. The house and grounds covered an area of 1 acre 3 roods and could accommodate up to 40 boys. The home closed on 1 September 1953 after Tynemouth Council bought the house under a compulsory purchase order In 1953 for use as a convalescent home..
In 1956 the council took the decision to demolish the house and work was completed early in 1957. Plans to develop the site never went ahead.